YOUNG WOMEN WHO WIN
Frequently Asked Questions
This one-on-one mentor program supports the educational, life and career goals of students in Palm Beach County. Volunteer mentors are matched with female youth in middle and high schools to provide guidance, inspiration and real-life experience in a trusting environment, with the goal of empowering young women to prevent absenteeism, develop coping mechanisms and become leaders of tomorrow.
Who is a mentor and what is the commitment?
How has COVID-19 changed the mentoring landscape?
This time of transition has been extremely difficult for our youth, especially with the advent of social distancing and a complete lack of social interactions with their peers. Our youth need us more than ever during this critical time of physical and emotional development. Ideally we would like the mentors to meet their mentees, face-to-face once/week at their school. However, with this national pandemic, we are only allowing match interactions to take place via virtual platforms such as Zoom or Google meet. It is premature to know once schools open up, if mentors will be allowed to enter the school to meet their future leader, face-to-face. YEP's responsibility to mentors is to communicate with you as developments occur.
Per the National Mentoring Partnership, Young Adults Who Were At-Risk for Falling Off Track But Had a Mentor Are:
55% more likely to enroll in college
78% more likely to volunteer regularly
90% are interested in becoming a mentor
130% more likely to hold leadership positions.
I'm interested in becoming a mentor, what are the next steps?
- Complete the application, once completed a YEP representation will be in touch with you
- Attend a training session
- Get screened (finger printing is necessary since we serve minors)
- Once the first 3 steps take place and you are approved as a mentor, you will be matched with a future leader
- YEP will provide support & monitoring throughout the duration of the match (during the school year)
- A Closing event will take place at the end of the match period
Should you have any questions, please call the Program Director Lisa Cobb at 561-720-2492 or email her at email@example.com. Thank you so much for your willingness and commitment to change a life!